Fresh Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Friands
- 125g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 6 eggwhites
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 1/4 cups (155g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 150g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 12-hole friand pan.
- Place strawberries on a large plate and use a potato masher to crush. Place the eggwhites and vanilla bean paste in a large bowl and whisk until just frothy. Using a coarse sieve, sift over the icing sugar, almond meal and flour. Add the melted butter and crushed strawberries and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Divide the mixture among prepared friand holes and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until friands are golden and a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean.
- Stand in the pans for 3-4 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Super Easy Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (ingredients I use are organic where possible)
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 125gm butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Lightly grease a 20cm (or thereabouts) cake pan (I used a springform because that’s what I have) and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl (I sifted straight into the bowl of my Kitchenaid). Stir in sugar. Combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla in a jug. Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Pour in buttermilk mixture. Using an electric mixer (I used the Kitchenaid), beat on low speed until ingredients are all combined. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1 250gram tub of marscapone
- 1 250gm tub of creme fraiche
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Using an electric mixer (again my Kitchenaid) beat on low speed until all combined then increase speed and beat until mixture holds stiff peaks, be careful not to overbeat or the mixture will go buttery!
Using a spoon or spatula spread the frosting over the cake, making tufts of the frosting so it looks like pretty peaks.